Final Cut Pro 7 installation problem on OS 10.9.5 VRAM error message

Reaction score
Have tried numerous times to install Final Cut Studio (FCP 7 from orginal installtion disks) on a Mac Pro with the following specs:

System specs:
Processor: 2 x 346 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon
Memory: 64 GB 1333MHz DDR3
Graphics:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1180
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3731

Kepp getting the following messages and installtion will not proceed:
• Final Cut Studio Installer requires that your system have 128 MB of VRAM; this system has only 0 MB of VRAM.
• Final Cut Studio Installer requires that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 video card has ample VRAM and have downloaded & installed the relevant NVIDIA driver (10.9 - 13F1911 - 334.01.03f11) from the Create Pro website. Selected this driver in NVIDIA control panel in System Preferences to no avail.

Any help from members very much appreciated!!!

Noizy Geoff

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model is the Mac Pro?
-Is is an actual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition card, a third-party version, or a flashed PC version?
-Can you add the link to the driver you downloaded and installed?

Since that card isn't an Apple OEM part, it may be reporting incorrectly to the installer. Also FCP 7 was released during the Leopard 10.5.x days, so it may have issues when trying to install in Mavericks 10.9.x.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model is the Mac Pro? Mac Pro Mid 2012
-Is is an actual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition card, a third-party version, or a flashed PC version? That information I don't know, but it was system built for me recently by Create Pro in the UK.
It is an actual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 card. Whether or not it is a Mac edition, I can only assume that it is. What firmware it has been flashed with, and by what means I do not know either.

-Can you add the link to the driver you downloaded and installed?
Since that card isn't an Apple OEM part, it may be reporting incorrectly to the installer. Also FCP 7 was released during the Leopard 10.5.x days, so it may have issues when trying to install in Mavericks 10.9.x.
I had FCP 6.0.6 and FCP 7 previously installed with no issues on a Mac Pro 2008 with Snow Leopard. Then I upgraded to a Sixty Four On Thirty Two configured SDD, no problems either.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

From what I can see on the Create Pro site, they use different models of the NVIDIA cards and thus have custom drivers for them. I am not familiar with SFOTT, but it looks like some code developed to allow installation of 64-bit versions of OS X on unsupported 32-bit Macs.

I think it may be best to contact Create Pro and see if their tech support may have run into this issue. Since you have non-standard hardware and software involved in your Mac Pro, it is beyond my experience level. Honestly, FCP 7 would probably run if it were already installed, but because the custom hardware/software was released far after FCP 7, it doesn't recognize it, and the installer is failing because it thinks they are older or don't match the required specs.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

From what I can see on the Create Pro site, they use different models of the NVIDIA cards and thus have custom drivers for them. I am not familiar with SFOTT, but it looks like some code developed to allow installation of 64-bit versions of OS X on unsupported 32-bit Macs.

I think it may be best to contact Create Pro and see if their tech support may have run into this issue. Since you have non-standard hardware and software involved in your Mac Pro, it is beyond my experience level. Honestly, FCP 7 would probably run if it were already installed, but because the custom hardware/software was released far after FCP 7, it doesn't recognize it, and the installer is failing because it thinks they are older or don't match the required specs.

C
Thanks for your input, Cory
Have been touch with Create Pro and they're running out of ideas, hence this post.
Will pick up the discussion with them again on Monday if I can't resolve over the weekend and if no one else on the group weighs in with a clever solution :cool:

Ask a Question