Family Tech Support 1/3: Remote Support/Training/Control?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a non-Mac user who just agreed to take on support for my Mac-using 75 year old mother.

Looking for any recommendations for a free remote troubleshooting/remote control:
  • Rustdesk viable/good? Other FOSS viable?
  • GotoMeeting/GoToAssist? Other non-FOSS with really free home use?
  • Something in-house that I'm missing? Note: not just looking for screen-sharing. Want to be able to control her keyboard and mouse, demo program usage to her, resolve issues, etc.
:)Anna

Reaction score
Hi Anna and welcome to the forum.

Best thing to do is to have your mom download Teamviewer Quick Support (https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/info/quicksupport) and then you would get the full Teamviewer. Its 100% free for personal use.

What I would do is install Quick Support on her Mac by copying the app to her applications folder. then, give the software the proper access permissions and then put the icon in her dock.

Then when you need to connect to her mac have her launch the TeamViewer Quick Support app.

Once setup TeamViewer will show a UserID and Passcode. The ID will always be the same, the passcode though will change everytime that she launches the app.s

Once its setup on your computer you add her to your contacts. You would only add her TeamViewer ID and leave the passcode blank. In the Alias section you would put Mom or anything else you want to name the contact.. The 1st time you connect you Request Access and you will need to enter the passcode generated by TeamViewer. Future connections you can select Connect with Prompt. This will let you connect by having her just accept the connection.

Also just a note that once you connect, you should minimize the TeamViewer window on her Mac. If you close the window, it will disconnect you.

Ask a Question