Extracting File Sizes from finder window into Excel

Reaction score
On an Apple computer, does anyone know how to extract all the file sizes of all the files in a particular folder and put them in Excel (preferably) or a Word doc? Right now I'm taking the file sizes and manually typing them into excel and it doesn't seem like a good use of my time. Plus it's taking forever. There's got to be a way to have the computer do this for me in Automator. I'm googling it and not finding what I want. I couldn't find the workflow in Automator either. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are trying to achive, but...
Select the Folder, File > Get Info...
General > Size will display the total size and count of the documents.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the OP is after a solution for how to have individual file size info for each file displayed separately for insertion in a word doc.

Could an Automator Script do that or Terminal?

Or even a disc space analyzer app like WhatSize (free trial only) or GrandPerspective (free) might help?

Reaction score
Excel (preferably)
just made be wonder if it was just to find the total of the Folder. If thats all thats needed then saves a lot of scripting.

Reaction score
Oh and you can select, copy and paste form this panel.

I can't figure out how to copy and paste from the "size" category in the finder, and paste it into excel. I can only figure out how to copy/paste file NAMES into excel, but thats not what I want. I want to copy/paste FILE SIZES into excel. How do I do that??

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the OP is after a solution for how to have individual file size info for each file displayed separately for insertion in a word doc.

Could an Automator Script do that or Terminal?

Or even a disc space analyzer app like WhatSize (free trial only) or GrandPerspective (free) might help?

What is "OP" ? I would like to copy/paste the FILE SIZES into a word doc or excel doc. I searched like crazy on the internet yesterday for a way to do it in automator and couldn't find anything. I kind of found a way to display that info using terminal, but then ran into a bigger issue!! the numbers that Terminal were showing were different then the numbers Finder was showing. Finder was saying the file size was 298.8 mb, while Terminal was saying it was 285 mb. Then I went into Final Cut Pro 7 and asked it to display sizes. And FCP agreed with Terminal on file sizes. So its like why are two separate applications telling me the file size is 285 when Finder shows it as 298.8? Very confusing and frustrating.

On another note though... the closest "solution" I've come across to get all the file sizes and names into an excel doc (without having to manually type them in), is bring all the raw footage into FCP, arrange by name, (select the columns you want, kind of), highlight all the clips on the left, go to file, and choose Export -> Batch List

Reaction score
There are 2 types of mb, one is based on decimal and the other binary. 1000 v 1024 when the numbers get large the difference become more noticeable.

There is no way to do it in Automator thats why you haven't found the answer.

OP stands for Other Person.

It sounds like an AppleScript job. It depends on which size you want. As I said before it would help is we know what you are trying to achieve, why do you need this?

Ask a Question