Extract Data From A 2 Part .dmg file

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am pretty new to a MacOS. I just picked up an older iMac which is running MacOS Catalina and I have an application that I want to install on this machine. It is in a 2 part .dmg archive:
File 1: App.dmg = 2.02 GB
File 2: App.002.dmgpart = 2.1 GB
When I double click File 1 to extract the archive it does extract teh image and places it on the desktop as a volume. WHen I check the size os the extracted volume it shows 5.39 GB, which makes sesne to me. If I look in the file there has to be stuff missing because there are only 3 files totalling 7.4 MB... If I try to install it by running the .pkg file in that volume, it hangs after some time and never completes.

I am sure that this volume or original .dmg file must be bad. Just for curiosiity I looked at the file on a windows machine using 7Zip an I see all the missing files.

Since I am such a newbie, coudl anyone advise me as to how I may be able to go about salvaging this data and repackaging it up so I actually install the app?

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I haven't heard of multi-part disk images for years, since modern versions of macOS and current storage can easily handle extremely large files.
  • What is the application in the two DMG files you are trying to install?
  • How old are the DMG files?
  • What was the source of the DMG files?
C

Reaction score
It is an audio plugin instrument (VST plugin) . It has / was always this way when downloaded from the site. On High Sierra I had no issues opening it up so this threw me for a loop. It is from 2012-2015 time frame. I just wanted to figure out if I could extract it adn them repackage it like expand / flatten for .PKG files.

Since I can see all the data is still there in the origina .DMG

Reaction score
It is an audio plugin instrument (VST plugin) . It has / was always this way when downloaded from the site. On High Sierra I had no issues opening it up so this threw me for a loop. It is from 2012-2015 time frame. I just wanted to figure out if I could extract it adn them repackage it like expand / flatten for .PKG files.

Since I can see all the data is still there in the origina .DMG
Since, as I understand it, it came in two disk image files, did you mount both of the .dmg files? You may be seeing a complete list of contents but some of them could be just aliases to the other parts on the second .dmg. How about clicking both files at the same time?

Reaction score
Thansk for the reply. No matter which one I open the volume it creates is the sam,e. I have opened up both in Pacifist and they are nboth identical. In Pacifist, the contents look correct.

Ask a Question