External drive help

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2T seagate external drive to back up my photos and free up some space. When I try and drag and drop I get a circle with the line through it. Anyone tell me the reason this is happening? I tried dragging just a simple document with the same results. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2T seagate external drive to back up my photos and free up some space. When I try and drag and drop I get a circle with the line through it. Anyone tell me the reason this is happening? I tried dragging just a simple document with the same results. Thanks in advance.
The symbol means you do not have permission to access that volume. How did you format the drive? Also, you should be copying (“cloning”) your data instead of drag-and-drop. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner, or you can use Terminal, if you are familiar with the commands.

If you really have to fix access to that drive, select that drive in Finder and then Get Info. You will have to click on the padlock (lower left of the window) and select admin and/or everyone and change Privilege to Read & Write. In the small pulldown at the bottom, you may have to also select Apply to enclosed items… This assumes that you are logged in as Admin.

Reaction score
The symbol means you do not have permission to access that volume. How did you format the drive? Also, you should be copying (“cloning”) your data instead of drag-and-drop. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner, or you can use Terminal, if you are familiar with the commands.

If you really have to fix access to that drive, select that drive in Finder and then Get Info. You will have to click on the padlock (lower left of the window) and select admin and/or everyone and change Privilege to Read & Write. In the small pulldown at the bottom, you may have to also select Apply to enclosed items… This assumes that you are logged in as Admin.
Thank you Tony I will try your advice.. I appreciate your help. Have a great day.

Ask a Question