Erasing hard drive

Reaction score
I have 2 iMacs need to retire. one power pc g4 with os 10.8 the other iMac late 2006 with 10.7 both do not respond to the r key at start up they just start up. is there an app that will erase these hard drive so I can install new os

Reaction score
Thanks Lufbrsrunner Ive tried that disk utility when I click on erase on the popup erase is grayed outIve tried all the methods I can find nothing works . starting up from the cd holding the c key the computer just starts. I never get the popup with the disk utility icon have to go to application and select disk utility when I select the hard drive the rare is grayed out. James

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive tried that disk utility when I click on erase on the popup erase is grayed outIve tried all the methods I can find nothing works . starting up from the cd holding the c key the computer just starts.

Have you used any terminal commands?

If not then it depends on how you have your HD's formatted to start with, so to save me a log post on different command lines have a look here.

https://osxdaily.com/2016/08/30/erase-disk-command-line-mac/

Reaction score
you mentioned using the "R" key to startup.
WRONG!
COMMAND R is correct keep it held down until you see the crawling line indicating it is booting, and it takes a while for that to happen.

SERIOUSLY: If they are going to the garbage, open them and smash the drive platters. That is what Hillary Clinton did!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's not clear why if if you're going to scap them, you need to install a new OS. You should be able to connect them by ethernet or USB, boot up into one and use it to reformat/erase the other with Disk Utility or DiskWarrior.

Reaction score
It's not clear why if if you're going to scap them, you need to install a new OS. You should be able to connect them by ethernet or USB, boot up into one and use it to reformat/erase the other with Disk Utility or DiskWarrior.
These are old machines that are that are probably already running the newest OS they are capable of running.

As others have said, the surest way is to remove the hard drive and smash it.

Ask a Question