Entourage 2008 Requesting Fonts on Launch

Reaction score
I'm on a Mac G5 PowerPC, OSX 10.5.3, 4 Gb memory and terabytes of storage.

Just installed MS Office 2008, had a few glitches, ran the MS 12.1 update, resolved most problems. Most, that is.

Entourage 2008, however, has developed an interesting hiccup on launch, sometimes resulting in a complete freeze. As soon as I launch it, Entourage throws up a series of alert windows asking permission to activate certain fonts -- these include Univers, Frutiger, CCSpookytooth and about 5 others.

Now, these fonts DO reside in my Suitcase Fusion vault, and they ARE activated already. Nonetheless, Entourage insists that they are not activated and keeps requesting permission to activate them. So, I have to click thru about 8 alert windows granting permission, and only THEN does Entourage successfully launch.

And I go through this routine EVERY time I launch Entourage. Granted, the alert windows do contain a check box, "Do not ask again for Entourage," which I have activated repeatedly, to no avail. The alerts just keep on coming.

Question 1: WHY is Entourage asking for these fonts? Most of them are novelty fonts that apparently have no bearing on the operation of this application.

Question 2: HOW do I eliminate the problem? Nothing in Entourage Preferences seems to apply to this launch problem.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, folks.

Reaction score
CharlesM,

Hi! I work at Extensis Software and I saw your question here. I'd like to make a suggestion:

Especially when you see fonts in odd states (it says it's needed but it's already active, fonts are conflicting when you only have one, etc) that is a big indicator that you have some font cache corruption. Just like web browser cache corruption, your best bet is to clean them out and start again.

To do that, your best bet is going to be a utility called FontNuke from Jamapi Software. It's available here: http://jamapi.com/pr/fn/index.html it is free, and all it does is clean font caches, including any that Office might have generated. Download it, run it, and restart your system. At that point, let me know if you are still having trouble and I'll see what else I can suggest.

Ask a Question