Emptying Trash From Either Of Two Computers

Reaction score
After installing Sierra, I have discovered that if I delete emails from either one of the computers Inboxes, it will also delete the same message in the second computer (same email address to both computers). I also find that if I delete anything on my Imac (a photo or file etc) it will deposit into the secondary, Macbook Pro Trash bin as well. I can empty the Trash from either computer. I have had these two computers working independently (without this link) for several years....until I updated to Sierra. Anyone help resolve this please.Thanks

Reaction score
THat's a strange one, to say the least!

Are you using Apple's Mail program?

Also, are you using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.1? If not, you can get it form here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1897?locale=en_US

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but did you do the upgrade "in place", that is, just let Sierra "lie on top" of whatever OS you were upgrading from?

I have not upgraded to Sierra yet, so I cannot be of any help (I also use Outlook 2016 for my EMail needs). When I do "move" to Sierra, I will do a clean installation of OS 10.12 (after, of course, making a SuperDuper! backup, booting my Mac from that backup, run Disk Utility from there to Erase and Format the SSD, and then do the clean install). I will then apply the OS 10.12.1 update I mentioned above.

Reaction score
THat's a strange one, to say the least!

Are you using Apple's Mail program?

Also, are you using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.1? If not, you can get it form here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1897?locale=en_US

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but did you do the upgrade "in place", that is, just let Sierra "lie on top" of whatever OS you were upgrading from?

I have not upgraded to Sierra yet, so I cannot be of any help (I also use Outlook 2016 for my EMail needs). When I do "move" to Sierra, I will do a clean installation of OS 10.12 (after, of course, making a SuperDuper! backup, booting my Mac from that backup, run Disk Utility from there to Erase and Format the SSD, and then do the clean install). I will then apply the OS 10.12.1 update I mentioned above.
I upgraded to 10.12.1 on both computers and it made no difference. When I changed from Mavericks to Sierra I just did it the way I always do it. Apple>About This Mac>Software Update etc.

Reaction score
So you "skipped" two in between versions of the Mac OS (Yosemite and El Capitan) for the upgrade? I have read both Pros and Cons about doing the upgrade like you did, or starting from "scratch", ie, Erase and Format the drive, then do a clean installation. By having a recent backup, it would be safe to follow that second method.

For the last three changes to the Mac OS, I have followed the clean, "virgin" installation route, preferring to be safe than sorry. And, as I mentioned above, I'll do that once I move to Sierra.

We'll have to see whether or not anyone else is having the issue you are having. As I mentioned, it sure si a strange one!

By the way, do you perform disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on a periodic basis? Not saying it would cure your issue, but as a general rule, it is wise to do that.

Ask a Question