Emptying the Trash

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to using Mac's after many years of struggling with PC's. Have to say that so far the experience is good and I can't see me going back to a PC.

However, I can't seem to find a clear answer to my query online, so I need the help of those that know.

My question is "Can I delete individual items from the Trash folder, or does the 'empty trash/secure empty trash' command clear all items?" At the moment the trash folder holds around 500 items and I know that it is likely that I may need to get some back at some stage, but others can go to free up space.

Please help.

Thanks

Jon

Reaction score
Hi

My question is "Can I delete individual items from the Trash folder, or does the 'empty trash/secure empty trash' command clear all items?" At the moment the trash folder holds around 500 items and I know that it is likely that I may need to get some back at some stage, but others can go to free up space.

Please help.

Thanks

Jon

You can double-click the trash can to open it and then "trash" individual files. The 'empty'/'secure empty' will delete everything in the trash.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If you open up the Trash and highlight the files you want to bring back to the Finder and press the keyboard combination of Command () + Delete then those files will go back to where they were before they were sent to the Trash.

Alternatively, if you Right-Click on any file in the Trash you will notice there is a "Put Back" item in the contextual menu.

If you have an older version of Mac OS X, pre Snow Leopard it may* be different and you may* have to drag files out of the Trash to retrieve them ... I just can't recall because I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.3.

Ask a Question