Editing page headers/footers under Numbers

Reaction score
Running under Sierra.
I have an Excel file that came across nicely into Numbers, but I'm having trouble modifying the printing header. I found the following set of instructions on the net:

If you would like to include headers and footers when you print your Numbers spreadsheets in Numbers 3.2 and later, you can do this by editing them on the Print Setup screen.

1. Choose Print from the File menu.
  2. You should see a preview of how the sheet will look when you print it.
  3. To edit the headers for the sheet, click the top of any page and add the information you would like there. To edit the footers, click the bottom of any page and add the information there.
I can delete characters in the header, but I can't add any new characters -- the keyboard doesn't respond.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-I assume this is Numbers 4.3?
-Can you edit header/footer on a freshly created blank Numbers file?

C

Reaction score
Yes, I'm using 4.3. Keep in mind that this is my first intro to Numbers, so don't assume that I'm doing any of the basics that someone more experienced with this package would have done automatically.

No, I don't seem to have any control over Header. In the print preview, I see three empty boxes in the top line of the page. I get no reaction to keystrokes on that line.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries. ;)

You should be able to simply click in one of the boxes and then type in your information. You can zoom the view in with the Zoom button to make this easier. When you click in one of the three boxes, you should get a blinking cursor. Are you not getting that?

What I meant above is, try creating a new blank document in Numbers and see if you can add header information to it. If so, then there may be something with the imported Excel file.

C

Reaction score
I did read you right, and I was working with a new blank document. I do get blinking cursors in all three boxes. FWIW, the left box shows left alignment, center shows center, and right shows right. Still no response to text typing. It's acting as though it's trying.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, good.

That's what I get too as far as alignment, but I can type in those boxes. Not sure what is going on.

Let me look into it further.

C

Reaction score
FWIW, I went into another worksheet I have, went to print preview, and inadvertently did a paste into the center box. It did store what I had on the clipboard.

Also, when I get into the print preview of the original worksheet, I can delete but not type, as discussed here, but I don't seem to be able to get out of that preview with a Command-Z effect -- the delete goes permanent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought that, in view of the fact that I’m getting into personal opinions, it would be more appropriate to use a message, rather than publicize it in the thread, but I couldn’t find the way to message you.

In my recently retired iMac, I had a small Windows partition to do things that I wasn’t used to doing under Apple. I also got into things like Outlook for Mac 2011, written by Microsoft. I didn’t like being under Microsoft’s thumb, so I made the effort to go pure Apple. I started with Mail, thought it was "weak" at first, but I grew to like it more as I discovered Mail’s way of doing Outlook-type things. Just recently, I tried getting into Pages and, as you’re now aware, Numbers, and I’m starting off with the same feeling — weak.

I’m used to Apple having a higher-than-Microsoft quality level all around, but I’m disappointed making the switch from Word and Excel. Is this feeling going to stay around, or can I look forward to greater comfort as I get used to hoop-jumping?

Reaction score
You've already gone above and beyond the call of duty, but unfortunately, I belong to the "it never hurts to ask" school. Would you consider sharing my machine to look around, if you think it would help? I regularly use TeamViewer to maintain my ex's and my daughter's systems.

Reaction score
Well, I owe you an apology, Cory. I failed to execute what I consider first-aid for any problem: Power-cycle the device(s) involved. In this case, it was a simple Restart of macOS that made Numbers behave the way it was supposed to. Thanks for all the attention and your time. For the time being, at least, all is well. Have a great Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years, and 2018!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad you got it sorted out.

Because of security and privacy concerns, we don't offer "remote hands" for troubleshooting and diagnosis. If participation here was a paid service, instead of a free volunteer basis, that might have been an option. The vast majority of issues can be resolved by posts here, and any discussions and resolutions are then available for others in the future that may be having similar issues.

I guess we can chalk this one up to the proverbial "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ;)

No thanks needed, and a very happy holiday season to you as well.

C

Ask a Question