DVD Player

Reaction score
I recently got my Powerbook G4 back from the shop after a HD crash. They replaced the drive and reinstalled OS X 10.3.9 and now I can't get the DVD Player to come up. Any ideas? I downloaded the DVD Player that was on Download.com but I think it may be outdated. The icon just bounces once and nothing happens when your try to open it.

Thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

A couple things to try:

1. Make sure you have all Mac OS X updates installed.
2. Use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions.
3. Download and reapply the Mac OS X 10.3.9 Combo Update.
4. Zap PRAM - restart Mac and immediately hold Comman-Option-P-R keys down until you hear second startup chime.
5. Delete Macintosh HD > Users > yourname > Library > Preferences > com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist

Which DVD Player did you download from Download.com?

C

Reaction score
A couple things to try:

1. Make sure you have all Mac OS X updates installed.
2. Use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions.
3. Download and reapply the Mac OS X 10.3.9 Combo Update.
4. Zap PRAM - restart Mac and immediately hold Comman-Option-P-R keys down until you hear second startup chime.
5. Delete Macintosh HD > Users > yourname > Library > Preferences > com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist

Which DVD Player did you download from Download.com?

C

Tried all those things, still no luck. Its like its not there. I can't find any DVD Player files anywhere.

I downloaded the only DVD Player file that comes up when you do a search for it on Download.com but I think thats an outdated version.

Any other ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Well, any you download from the Internet as a separate file are not the Apple DVD Player. It's part of Mac OS X. You should have the original install discs?

Reaction score

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

it does sound like, that for some reason it's not on your drive...

...so the quickest way to get you going is to reboot off your Install disk and do an Archive and Install.

This will retain your user settings, data etc. Make sure that any impotant data is backed up though, and that you have at least 8GB of free space before doing it.

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

That particular version is from 2001. It's not compatible with the latest versions of OS X. That may be the problem.

Check your Private Messages.

C

Ask a Question