Dosbox-x on Mac Mini M1 - win32 games

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have loaded Dosbox-x on my Mac to run some old Dos games.
I can now run my uber super favorite of all time ancient dos game (Eye of the Beholder) but I can't figure out how to get the "win32" games to work.
I can play the only game I really wanted to play (Eye of the Beholder) just fine.
The thing is, I have a friend that gave me two old Dos games to try but when I try to load them, the software says they run in Win32.

Of course, this is a Mac Forum but I figured perhaps some of you use Dosbox-x and might know what I have to do to work it out.

Please NOTE: I don't want to lose my capability of playing Eye of the Beholder. That game totally gets priority if push comes to shove.

Thank you,
N

Reaction score
To run Win32 games in Dosbox-x on Mac, you'll need a Windows emulator like Wine. However, ensure it won't affect your Eye of the Beholder setup. Prioritize preserving its functionality.

Reaction score
It's great to hear that you've successfully loaded DOSBox-X on your Mac Mini M1 and can play your favorite classic game, Eye of the Beholder! However, running "win32" games in DOSBox-X might not be straightforward since DOSBox-X primarily emulates DOS environments, and "win32" typically refers to Windows 32-bit applications. DOSBox-X isn't designed to run Windows applications directly.

To run "win32" games on your Mac Mini M1, you might need to explore other options such as using a Windows emulator or virtual machine software like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. These applications allow you to run Windows alongside macOS, providing compatibility for running Windows-based software. However, setting up a virtual machine requires additional resources and may impact the performance of your Mac Mini M1.

Since your priority is to continue playing Eye of the Beholder without losing functionality, you can explore running other DOS games within DOSBox-X while considering alternative solutions for running "win32" games. You could also reach out to communities or forums dedicated to DOS gaming or emulation for more specific advice on running "win32" games on macOS.

Reaction score
For Win32 games, you might need a different approach since Dosbox is mainly for DOS games. You could try using Wine or a similar program that allows you to run Windows applications on Mac. Wine should let you play those Win32 games without affecting your Dosbox setup for Eye of the Beholder.

Ask a Question