Do Yosemite emulators exist to run on late 2017 iMac?

Reaction score
I have 2 iMacs; one late 2009 running Yosemite 10.10.5, the other late 2017 running High Sierra 10.13.6.

On 2009 iMac, I have unique non Apple software (e.g. MPEGStreamclip - open source; MP4Splitter + MP4Joiner - though App Store BUT not available for purchase/update under later OS X versions). These apps will not run under later versions of OS X.

As I cannot install Yosemite on the 2017 iMac ("This copy of the 'Install OS X' application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X.) nor can I attach an external HD on which Yosemite is installed and functioning,

The only possible solution (offered by an Apple Support staff member) was to install a Yosemite emulator on the 2017 iMac. He could offer no advice whether such a thing existed nor where I might try to locate one.

Can anyone advise me if such an emulator exists and how to install it under High Sierra, please? I have partitioned the 1 TB HD into 2 x 500 GB partitions in anticipation of installing Yosemite into one of them.

I am grateful for any help you may offer. Thank you.

Sincerely, ranger1.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Parallels would work, as you can install Yosemite as a Guest OS. Hoever, you would need to purchase Parallels, and have a copy of the Yosemite installer.

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory,

Thank you for your kind response. I've priced Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac - A$109.95. I can manage that purchase next pension day here (9 January).
I already have the Yosemite installers (OS X Yosemite [MAS].dmg + osxupd10.10.5.dmg) copied onto the 2017 iMac.
I also have those 2 installers on an external HD (to my 2009 iMac) which coincidentally also has Yosemite as the OS installed and functions as an available Startup Disk in System Preferences on internal HD.

I am not particularly IT/OS savvy and so would appreciate any advice in installing Parallels 15 onto the 2017 iMac (as a Guest OS ?) and the steps to achieve installation and running of Yosemite on that later iMac.

After I have purchased Parallels 15, would you be able to advise me in the further steps I need to execute, please?

Thank you sincerely, ranger1.

Ask a Question