Display Problems

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new Mac user and only use it when I am at work. I was trying to set up the laptop to be able to view the display on the tv (something I was able to do with my home PC without a problem).

I connected the appropriate cable to the tv and laptop and turned both on. The display that showed was only the background, not the menu bars, mouse, etc. I went into the System Preferences and then into the Display settings. On the tv a slighly difference Display windown opened and I could now see the Mouse on the tv screen. In the Arrangement Pane I selected the "Sharp LCD" and below that I selected the box to Mirror the display. Almost immediately both the tv and the laptop changed their displays to a series of vertical lines of varying shades of purple, gray and black (identical on both screens), I can also see the mouse on the TV screen still.

I cannot see anything but these vertical lines. I want to be able to get back to the Arrangement Pane to un-check the "Mirror" option, but the Arrangement Pane will only open when I connect the computer to the TV and when I do that the vertical lines appear.

What do I do?

Ask a Question