Destroying Data

Reaction score
I have an older Mac desktop that is, I believe, 27". I think the hard drive bit the dust but got the data onto my new 23" iMac.

How do I get the hard drive out of this old one to destroy the data?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It depends - are you going to sell/give away the old iMac? If the hard drive did fail, it will be very difficult to retrieve any data from it.

Which model is it?

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory.. I'm actually deleting files one at a time.. it's horrible cuz once I move a file to trash, the pinwheel roles for about 3-5 minutes before it hits trash.. actually, any operation.. like clicking the apple in the upper left to find the model.. been going for over 5 min for it to pop up the info . its like me newer 23" but not retina and fully HD. so to ans part of question the HD is working but like COLD molasses.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks, and understood about the slowness.

It does sound like the drive may be failing, which could definitely cause that behavior.

If you are simply going to trash the old one, you could disassemble it and remove/destroy the drive. If you are going to give it away, sell it, or repair it, then I don't suggest taking it apart, because the internals are easily damaged.

iFixit - Mac - Repair Guides can be helpful in removing the drive, once you know the model. But again, it's not recommended if it will be reused.

C

Reaction score
Thanks again Cory.. you are ALWAYS so helpful. I may check to see if it's worth upgrading it or just having another drive put in. Hate to trash it cuz it's really a nice computer. Only reason I got the new one is cuz I kinda felt the HD on this old one was on it's last legs. Thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

You could have it replaced and have them give you the old one to destroy. It is still a viable machine.

C

Ask a Question