Deleted a File; Desktop Unusable

Reaction score
Recently, I replaced the SArtfiles and other files for the menu bar and window color to do a bit of theming. Before I changed them, I made sure to back up the original files. Unfortunately, I realized I had lost an original Extras2.rsrc file while trying to restore back to the factory Apple UI. While looking for it, I found an Extras2.rsrc file in a different folder, thinking this was a remnant from the theming so I trashed it and logged out. When I logged back in, all open apps crashed and Finder began a crash-relaunch loop. The file I deleted, I believe, made the dropdown menus (file, edit, view, etc) on the menu bar disappear, thus causing apps to crash. All actions (opening apps, new windows, even the keyboard) are impossible to perform. Please help! My Mac is completely unusable.

[Mid-2012 MBP running Mavericks]

Thanks! I hope someone can help me out.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this it might help you

OS X Recovery

Restart your Mac holding down the Command + R keys to enter Disk Recovery mode. Launch Disk Utility in this mode and Fix Permissions on your drive.

Let us know if it doesn't help

Ask a Question