Curious Cable Issue

Reaction score
Although the title above might be interpreted as a hardware issue, my question stem from upgrading to Catalina. Since upgrading to Catalina, I have been trying to resolve an issue of the screen on my secondary display "going black" after a computer restart or the display being disconnected from the computer. But I'm working with Apple Support on this.

But my question is related to the DVI-to-Thunderbolt cable connecting the secondary display to my iMac27. I replaced the cable in an effort to see if the black-screen problem was the result of a faulty cable. With the new cable connected, the secondary display would momentarily work fine for about 5 seconds; then default to a bright white, pixelated screen. Why would the screen remain black with one cable connected; and white & pixelated with the other cable?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have seen issues like this previously, and if you have tried multiple adapters, then the issue lies with the external display.

-What brand/model are the adapters?
-What brand/model is the secondary display?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have seen issues like this previously, and if you have tried multiple adapters, then the issue lies with the external display.

-What brand/model are the adapters?
-What brand/model is the secondary display?

C
The adapters are Belinda Thunderbolt -to-DVI. The display is an NEC MultiSync P221W.

FYI, I connected the external display to another Mac (MacBook Pro) & it worked perfectly. I could not get it to fail. So at this point I am thinking that the issue lies either with Catalina or the adapter (which itself might not be compatible with Catalina). If that makes any sense.

Kit

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. It could be an issue with Catalina or the adapter.

I believe that display is about 7 years old, correct. I am not familiar with Belinda adapters.
Which model iMac?

C

Reaction score
Yes, the display is about 7 years old. The iMac is a 27" Retina 5K 2017.

I might add that Apple Support has sent a diagnostic log to engineering. Hopefully I will get some additional info.

Thank you, Cory, for your interest.

Kit

Ask a Question