copy or move

Reaction score
when I drag and drop an item on my imac it copies it.

does anyone know how to move it.

situation is I have locked items in my trash can, I can't empty it whilst they are in there. I have tried lots of other ways of just emptying the trash can but nothing works.

If I can move it out of the trash I can unlock it and put it back.

please help

using Leopard at the mo.

Reaction score
Does Leopard give you the option to "Secure Empty Trash"? In 10.4.11 that menu item is in the Finder > Secure Empty Trash. It will delete locked items.

As for copying, you are probably dragging and dropping from another source, such as an external drive or disk. Copying is the expected bahavior. On the other hand, if the item in question is already in your iMac, it will be moved to the new location if you drag and drop it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I've had a look and can't find any secure empty trash. I'm fairly new to macs and this is probably the only problem I have.

With my pc if I drag and dropped a file it moved it. In this case it just copies it over and over again.

I have about 20g of stuff I need to get rid of and 2g left on both my hd's.

if I could move the file out of the trash, unlock it and put it back in I'd be fine.

Ask a Question