contacts in outlook

Reaction score
i'm a new Mac user to explain where i'm coming from.

i use Outlook, but cannot find where my list of contacts are on outlook for mac. i see the tab for 'check names', 'address book end also for 'new contacts' but none of these are either working or indicating all my names. when i attempt a search nothing appears. what am i doing wrong?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of OS X?
-What version of Microsoft Office/Outlook?
-Did this issue just start happening - were the Contacts there previously?

C

Reaction score
hi,

i've got OS X El Capitan, v 10.11.1 (15B42), and am using Outlook v 15.16.

i'm now beginning to think that my technician did not transfer any contacts over.

Having said that - shouldn't outlook be picking up contacts directly from my emails - or do i have to set up a contact file each time?

E

Reaction score
Cory,

Outlook 15.16 is the updated version of Outlook in Office 2016. So, the "15.16" designation would be the newest version number for Office 2016. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc, would each have that same version number.

Ellen,

I have Office 2011, including Outlook, and I have not used the Contacts feature at all (might start using it, though). When I did click on Contacts, though, I actually saw 3 of them there! (In actuality, there were a total of 10 contacts, but the extra 7 were just repeats of the 3 "original" ones). I have no idea how they got there.

You stated above that "i'm now beginning to think that my technician did not transfer any contacts over.", and also that you are a new Mac user (Welcome, by the way!). So, where were the contacts supposed to be transferred from? Were your contacts on a Windows PC, and thus contained within a Windows version of Office/Outlook?

Reaction score
thank you very much. this helped me a bit.

do you know how if its possible to important contacts from my iPhone 6 to my iMac outlook?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I know which version it is, I just meant I am not familiar with it, because I have never used it. ;)

C

Reaction score
thank you very much. this helped me a bit.

do you know how if its possible to important contacts from my iPhone 6 to my iMac outlook?

Ellen,

I have never done that (I also do not have an iPhone). Here are the results of a google search I just did for "How to transfer Contacts from an iPhone to Outlook 2016 on a Mac":

https://www.google.com/search?q=How...tacts+from+an+iPhone+to+Outlook+2016+on+a+Mac

I did click on that second "hit", "iPhone6 and outlook2016 synchronizing in MAC", and unless your ISP uses a Microsoft Exchange server, you could have issues trying to "easily" do it.

Reaction score
Hi Ellen,
I am brand new in this forum but have been a mac/apple user since 1987,,,
there are many ways to get yr contacts from yr iPhone to yr Outlook account, just not the other way around and MS has made it super hard to integrate ... but the easiest by FAR is simply to get iCloud. As a mac or iOS iuser you automatically get 5G of free storage which will sync any of yr devices where you have signed in with yr required iCloud acct. And you can export all of yr contacts from both yr Mail app and yr ADdress Book on yr ,

You have to have an apple id anyway for iTunes and for the MAS (Mac App Store) They will be synced automatically between all yr devices without EVER AGAIN HAVING TO MANUALLY put them in one at a time (eeegads..)

Also, though you did not complain or ask about yr Outlook/macMail options may i recommend that you at least just test-run the Mac Mail app built in first and see how ya like it? ... It will save you numerous headaches along the way
~~~~
MAC MAIL:
Pros: it is super user friendly and includes all of the features that Outlook does with a simpler clean interface... also, yr contacts will sync seamlessly with both yr phone and yr email without even having to configure it all. If you make sure to set up yr email account FIRST in yr SYSTEM PREFS/INTERNET ACCOUNTS rather than via yr MAIL PREFS it will be much easier... Your email recipients as well as senders will automatically get added to yr AddressBook (aka "Contacts" on Mac) along with yr iPhone within seconds of you sending an email from yr desktop. Oh and you can even export all facebook and twitter contacts into and out of yr mac CONTACTS ... it will automatically sort all yr account contacts for you by group, iCloud, fb, iMessage, Mail, gmail, etc
Oh and you can run exchange server in the mail app so its just a matter of what interface u like better after the syncing issue

Cons: Not as pretty to look at as Outlook at first glance unless you utilize yr text color options in rules for diff categories but apple has made it super easy.

OUTLOOK:
Pros: If your workplace has an Exchange Server and everyone uses Outlook then that's a natural reason to go with Outlook It is also the more used choice as it is a Microsoft product which is both a pro and a con,,,,

Cons: Outlook's contacts and calendars do not integrate with Messages/iMessage and FaceTime, Contacts or iOS so if you're using Messages and/or FaceTime even regularly... having your contacts and calendars in Outlook can be a major pain
Setting up all yr prefs is much more labor intensive and complicated than it is in Mail... but then that is the Microsoft way, right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SO ITS REALLY JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE but being someone who used both extensively depending on my workplace I thought maybe i could help... and if you use any of those apps i just mentioned it should be a no-brainer for you...

WELCOME to the Zen world of Apple, Ellen... though some things will piss you off you will definitely love the differences...
Cheers to all and forgive my first post here being so lengthy...

Bex

PS whatever you do some old school microsoft folks may tell ya to transfer all yr old Outlook contacts to Iphone via a CSV file into Excell... hahhaha dont do it the prehistoric way... yr entire contacts database can be sent over to yr apple CONTACTS which will then enable you to forever have them connected to ALL OF YR APPS. You will now be able to send one contact or yr entire database to yr phone on just ONE vcf card and u can do it in a text message. :D

Reaction score
thank you very much for your extensive and helpful reply.

i've been thinking of changing over to Apple Mail and may now go down that road - as I use iMac, iPhone and Macbook.

Ellen

Ask a Question