Clean Up Software Help

Reaction score
Hi there

I am wondering if anyone can help me??
i have an odl ibook g4 & it currently holds two platforms - OS9 and OSX.
I had way too much software on it (including creative suite) & now it has slowed down to take approx. 20 minutes to do something simple like open an application or simply click on the desktop.

I have cleared all applicaitons (I think) & just left Microsoft Word.
I really want to clean it up so I can just use it as a word processor or to view mail.

Can anyone give me any tips?? I have treid to delete OS9 but it won't allow me.
I am sure there must be a way but sadly I don't know what that is!

Thanks in advance
Susie

Reaction score
Hello,
Why don't you do an erase and install of the operating system without OS9?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi there

I am wondering if anyone can help me??
i have an odl ibook g4 & it currently holds two platforms - OS9 and OSX.
I had way too much software on it (including creative suite) & now it has slowed down to take approx. 20 minutes to do something simple like open an application or simply click on the desktop.

I have cleared all applicaitons (I think) & just left Microsoft Word.
I really want to clean it up so I can just use it as a word processor or to view mail.

Can anyone give me any tips?? I have treid to delete OS9 but it won't allow me.
I am sure there must be a way but sadly I don't know what that is!

Thanks in advance
Susie

Yes, I would look at removing OS 9 to free up space. Also check whether or not you can add more RAM (memory).

You should also consider using a lighter word processor like NeoOffice over Microsoft Word. NeoOffice can work with Microsoft Word documents.

Also NeoOffice is free ;)

Reaction score
okay what maintenance should we be doing on a mac? my macdook pro used to be really fast and now it has slowed to a crawl....

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well I use OnyX (this is the Snow Leopard Version, here are the other versions OnyX for Leopard and previous Mac OS versions).

I run it from my iMacs Admin Acct. Be sure not to use your MBPro while OnyX is running. You will be asked to restart your MBPro a few times.

I know Walrus666 uses a different maintenance app but I just can't think of it's name ... there are several choices and they are basically all the same it's just a matter of personal choice ...

OnyX also has a few good options ... just look around the interface :)

Ask a Question