Charger problems

Reaction score
I have a MacBook that I have recently put a new battery in. Ever since it seems to be frying the power cords. I have gone through it original then a mac replacement and three el cheapie eBay cords. They work for a couple of days then just stop. I have had it to the Genius Bar but because it doesn't happen instantly they say it's fine.

Reaction score
Is the replacement battery a genuine Apple one, or a third party one? Third party batteries are notorious for creating issues on Macs.

Reaction score
Its genuine. I don't know if it could be the cause but when I was changing the battery I lost a screw. It may well be inside the mac because I just can't find it. Could it be stuck somewhere shorting the power?

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is a possibility. Can you disassemble your machine and try and find it? Also, while assembled, shake it back and forth. If the screw is not real tiny, and not lodged somewhere, you should be able to hear it, and possibly it will drop out.

By the way, was/is that screw used to secure the battery?

Reaction score
Not for the battery no, to hold the back on. I've shaken it and I've had the back off but I can't find the little devil. I will give it another try. Do you think it could be doing it?

Reaction score
Not for the battery no, to hold the back on. I've shaken it and I've had the back off but I can't find the little devil. I will give it another try. Do you think it could be doing it?

Given that it is basically a loose piece of metal, it could be causing it. It depends upon where it is "lodged".

Also, when you shook the machine, could you hear any "rattling"? If so, that could be that loose screw, unless it is lodged somewhere where it can't move.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Which exact model MacBook is it?

A loose screw could definitely cause that issue. It could be "stuck" near the MagSafe board, as it contains a magnet that could easily attract a loose metal screw. Also, check the MagSafe connector itself, as a stray staple or other piece of metal could be lodged there.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory, for providing more details about the possible damaging effects of the screw.

Ask a Question