change admin name on my iMac

Reaction score
Hello ... it may seem silly, but my iMac has my ex husbands name as admin, and I don't want to see it every time I log in to my Mac. I can't find a way to change the, i don't want to be a guest user ... I am the admin now,and i want my name to appear, is there a way to change this please? I'm using El Capitan on a desktop iMac. Thanks you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have a lot of documents/email/photos/music you want to save on his user?
-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?

C

Reaction score
Hello thank you for your reply. I have just had the hard drive replaced by MacAssist and I do have a copy of most of my data and a time machine for the apps that aren't on the new hard drive.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

There are two ways to resolve your issue:

1. Create another admin user in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups using your name, login to it, and delete his. Your applications won't be affected, but you will have to manually recover any files/documents/data from your external hard drive/Time Machine.

2. Change the account name and home directory name on your Mac - you can follow the steps in the Change and account name section from that link. You should be safe, since you have a backup of your data.

Let us know if you have additional questions,

C

Reaction score
Hello again and thank you very much for the reply. The second option worked best, it's all done and didn't need any back ups of data or apps. Thank you

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

There are two ways to resolve your issue:

1. Create another admin user in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups using your name, login to it, and delete his. Your applications won't be affected, but you will have to manually recover any files/documents/data from your external hard drive/Time Machine.

2. Change the account name and home directory name on your Mac - you can follow the steps in the Change and account name section from that link. You should be safe, since you have a backup of your data.

Let us know if you have additional questions,

C
I just inherited this iMac and have neither password nor administrator's name. I tried using the deceased owner's name, but she apparently didn't use it. There is nothing installed that I need to keep. I have my original iMac (a 24" iMac7,1) running 10.11.6 El Capitain, but this one (a 21" iMac 12,1) has 10.7.5 Lion installed. What I would like to do is reset the inherited machine and install El Capitain.

I should add that both Macs are connected to my online account.

Last edited:

Ask a Question