Cannon Camera is not recognized

Reaction score
Here is my issue. When I connect my cannon camera to my Imac via usb and turn it on the screen does not go off on the camera. When I do this when the computer is sleeping it does wake up. When I go to system profiler and select usb it does show that the camera is hooked up. I photo does not see it as I have it set up to open iphoto when first connected. I also loaded image capture on this computer but when I open it id says "no camera connected"

This camera works fine on my other imac. Opens iphoto when plugged into usb and turned on. The camera screen goes off and it opens iphoto. Not sure how to resolve this issue?

Any Ideas?

Jim

Reaction score
Check the other USB ports on the iMac. Don't use the keyboard ports (if it has them) plug directly into the iMac.

Reaction score
I have tried all three on the back of the imac. No go. The Imac does show the camera plugged into the usb when I go to utilities and system profiler.

Reaction score
it is version 10.6.8 I bought the computer used so I do not know if updates have been completed. I thought updates were automatic. If not how do I get updates. Thanks

Reaction score
If the camera is very new, 10.6 might not know about it.

Updates are on Apple Menu > Software Updates...

Reaction score
Camera is about 5 years old. It is recognized on my wife's imac that is running the same version

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this:

• Quit iPhoto
  • Open Activity Monitor (Applications ~> Utilities)
  • In the search window at the top right, search for PTPCamera
  • Click on PTPCamera in the list of results to highlight it
  • Click on Quit Process (the red stopsign icon in the upper left of Activity Monitor)
  • Choose “Quit”
  • Search for “Image Capture Extension” in the list, & highlight it then choose “Quit Process”
  • Go to MacintoshHD ~> System ~> Library ~> Image Capture ~> Devices and double-click PTPCamera.app to launch it again

Unplug and re-plug your Canon camera. If iPhoto doesn't automatically launch, launch it manually.
Hopefully you should see your media available for import from the camera when you select it in the devices list.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-What model Canon?
-What version of iPhoto?
-Do either of the iMacs have any Canon software installed?

C

Reaction score
It is a Canon powershot sd1100is. I did install the canon software on the imac that I am having problems with. When I open this software it says camera not found eventhough it is plugged into usb and powered up. Iphoto version 8.1.2. This iphoto was copied from my wife's imac. Made a duplicate and moved it over on thumb drive.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I would try uninstalling the Canon software.

Also, you cannot just copy the iPhoto application as you did. When you do a proper install, it installs several system and support files. I would do a reinstall of iPhoto as well.

I believe your iPhoto copy/install is the issue.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

The Imac does show the camera plugged into the usb when I go to utilities and system profiler.

As CC said try uninstalling the camera software, then reboot. Once done open Image capture plug the camera in and turn on if not auto and select computer or USB. Is it now picked up by IC?

Ask a Question