cannont find the hard drive ???

Reaction score
cannont find the hard drive ???
Hi,
i just got my hand on an old mac g4 (i guess early mac os 10) not sure ... yet ... i am trying to open it .... and it doesn't work ... what is happening is: it's loading until there is a small folder flashing in the middle of the screen with a question mark and the mac os 9 logo (the 2 blue face's ) in it .. where should i start ...

thank you
ian

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

can you take a picture of what you see and post it here...

Do you have any Mac OS install disks ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
.. i have those disk ... but it didn't work (i have tried)
... they can't find the hard drive ...and i have try the disk utility ... past the first aid ... what it said: the volume bit map needs minor repair ... i click on the repair then it's clicking (kind of loud) (inside the computer) ... for very long and it ... i restart it i do the the same thing it's a flashing question mark in in a forlder ... so i am a the same point now ... i can start only with disk but can't the hd ... i dont care if i have too re-start it from scratch ...

thank's alot
ian

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

So if I have read your post correctly...

You can boot from the install disks...but they won't install because it doesn't see the hard drive.

You have run Disk repair, it see's the Hard drive but say's that the volume bit map needs repair...when you have clicked the repair button does it finish ?

If so does it say that it has been repaired or that it can't be repaired ?

You could also boot from the install disk, then run Disk Utility and reformat the drive and then try and load the OS.

Unfortunately Apples free Disk Utility doesn't fix too many things...you are going to need something like Disk Warrior to try and fix the drive. If the drive 'is' fixable then Disk Warrior will fix it !

It may however be cheaper to just pop in a new drive...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question