Blinking Task Bar

Reaction score
Hi, I've just switched over our entire office to Mac and have been extremely pleased until today. I noticed a little American flag icon in my task bar so I clicked it, and noticed the character map so I was messing around in there. Anyway, my mighty mouse got stuck or someting and I accidentally dragged one of the characters to the desktop. All my folders and icons on the desktop disappeared, my task bar up top just blinks now. When I open an app, it works but just blinks. If I open a new Finder window, it pops up for about 2 seconds and closes itself. At this point I'm just trying to find a way to get to the desktop and see if there is something I need to delete. Can anyone give me some direction here? Like I said I am new to the mac world and feel pretty helpless.

Thanks in advance,
Casey
http://www.macosx.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1285981

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

I have just 'tried' dragging a charecter from the pallette to the desktop and all that happens is that I get a "text clipping" with that charecter in...

..so I can only presume that something else must have happened at the same time ?

Can you tell us what type of Mac and what version of the OS you are using ?

The first thing to try...

Insert your install DVD and restart, hold down letter c key till your Mac boots...

...you will now be at the installer screen (Don't install !). Quit out of that and run Disk Utility...

In Disk Utility, run repair disk and repair permissions...then quit and reboot.

Let us know if that gets you any further...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes it created a file called "??.textClipping" which seemed to cause my display and Finder to spin into a looping crash. What I had to do was create a second account, assign it as admin, run terminal and delete the file from there as super admin.

Thanks again..the problem seems to be fixed now. :)

Ask a Question