SOLVED Batch processing, does it "tax" the computer...?

Reaction score
I have many times used batch processing from within Photoshop, typically to resize and save a number pictures as jpegs. – It's extremely fast and has always worked flawlessly and I may have processed batches of a hundred images or more in this way. It has been "decent sized" tifs that I resized down to maybe 1500 pixels wide and saved as jpegs...no problem.
But I have wondered, is this in any way "harmful" to the hardware...? – Reason for my worry is that I will have a need to process thousands...and I'm concerned about potential "consequences" I'm not aware of...
I'm using a MacPro 3.1 tower, 32 gig ram and the graphics card is the common ATI Radeon HD 5770.
Is there a reason to worry...?
Thanks in advance for any info...!
Gunnar
...in LA, CA

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It shouldn't cause any issues at all. macOS and the Mac Pro hardware sensors will monitor all processes and adjust fan speeds for any thermal issues to protect the internal components. You may notice the fans spin up if temps rise, and the Mac Pro will actually power off if it exceeds any limits to prevent any damage.

Batch away!

C

Reaction score
....alrighty then...! – Thank you very much, Cory, good news!
...and much appreciated.
: )
GunnarInLA

Reaction score
...so I did it – I batch resized about 2800 tifs (to smaller files saved as jpegs) and it worked without any problems whatsoever...
My MacPro 3.1 processed about 40 per minute, I estimated, so it was done in a little more than an hour...
So – Solved! – ..and Thanks again... : )

Ask a Question