Automator Won't Convert to CSV

Reaction score
Has anybody run into this problem? Even if I run a super simple workflow: (1) Get file, (2) Open .xlsx, and (3) Save Excel Workbooks as "Test" on Desktop as CSV -- I get the error on the last step of "Microsoft Excel got an error: Parameter error." I tried different sizes and files and they all say the same thing, though everything works fine if I save a sheet as a normal .xlsx or something -- for some reason I just keep getting errors when I attempt to use a csv.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't have a lot of experience with Automator/AppleScript. I do know that in Excel, you normally use the Save As function, then select CSV as the output format, to save a document as a CSV file. You may have to play with the last step a little more. There also may be an issue with the particular versions of OS X/Automator and Excel that you are using.

Maybe someone over at MacScripter can shed some light.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't have a lot of experience with Automator/AppleScript. I do know that in Excel, you normally use the Save As function, then select CSV as the output format, to save a document as a CSV file. You may have to play with the last step a little more. There also may be an issue with the particular versions of OS X/Automator and Excel that you are using.

Maybe someone over at MacScripter can shed some light.

C

Right, thanks. I'm attempting to stop doing it manually in Excel since I do it so often -- and Automator has the functionality, I just can't figure out why I'm getting an error. If anybody can help, the MacScripter thread (that nobody has gotten back to me on yet) is here: http://www.macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=44409

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Awesome...you're ahead of me. ;)

I will let you know if I think of anything. I don't even have Excel installed here on any of my Macs, so I will check on a machine that does later this week.

C

Ask a Question