automator-lingon issue

Reaction score
Hi -

I have set up a workflow in automator to open and run certain features on a program.

I am running Lingon to ensure my Automator workflow (saved as an application) will always automatically reopen if the program that automator is controlling should crash (or for that matter, if automator should crash).

Problem is when the program that is being controlled by automator crashes, automator keeps running and when it can't carry out a function in its workflow due to the program having crashed, it brings up a window alerting to check the workflow. Problem is if I am not at my computer to shut down this window automator will not shutdown, thus not allowing Lingon to restart Automator vis-a-vis the program it is controlling.

Question is, how can I stop automator opening this alert window? No preferences options I can see to do this. Alternatively does anyone know of an automator function that will ensure the program it is controlling reopens if it crashes.

Any help much appreciated - thanks.

Reaction score
You are going at this the wrong way.

You should check if the App is running at the start of the workflow and quit if its not.

Reaction score
Hi.

Sorry can you give a little more information. I'm not that computer savvy!

When you say check if the App is running at the start I assume you are referring to the application that Automator is controlling (in this case Ableton Live)?

If so how does this help, as automator workflow has been set up to open and close Abelton Live. The issue is if Abelton Live crashes while automator is running, then automator will not automatically quit, meaning it can't be rebooted by Lingon.

I need to set the computer up this way as it is part of an art installation that needs to run on its own on a day-to-day basis.

I am using Lingon as my crash-proof agent so to speak.

If I'm mixed up please spell it out for me!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi -

Thanks for this information. Sounds like I don't need to worry about Lingon as Launchd will do the same thing.

The reason I am using automator is so it can start and stop certain features in Ableton Live while it is running (scene launch, stop clips etc.) Ableton Live enables set up of key commands which I can use automators "watch me do" to emulate after each start up (as shown in tutorial:
- complete with annoying music!).

I'm really just being extra cautious. Everything is right to go - I just need to ensure my automator workflow will restart if Ableton should ever crash. Its just this annoying pop-up window holding me back!

Thanks

Reaction score
I realise your time is probably getting short and I'm not sure just what needs to run when, I'd look very closely at AppleScript as that can tell you if a process is running, start stuff if it is.

How will you know if Ableton Live has crashed and needs to run your automator?

Reaction score
You're right of course - if Automator has a command to pause for 4 hours while Ableton runs its files, then obviously if Ableton crashes during this four hours, Automator is not going to realise it until it tries to enact a command in Ableton, so in fact, as you said in the first place I am going about this the wrong way - told you I wasn't to computer savvy!

So I think the solution is to set up a launch Daemon for Ableton Live so that it will always open should it crash. Then set up Automator as a login item so that it is ready to go at start-up. Of course there is the slight possibility of the Automator crashing, but as its a Mac item I'm assuming it would be very stable.

I hope this is starting to make more sense?

Hey thanks for your patience, this is really helping me sort things out!

Ask a Question