Automator: Command Line: Password Response?

Reaction score
I would like to use automator to automate some lengthy command lines for users who would rather not go there...

The process I need to call needs root or sudo... so the call would be like this... for a non-root user (usual)

sudo /opt/vintela/vmx/bin/vmxclienttool --run-software-distribution

Of course, this fails -- and I assume it's because the shell is now asking for the password in order to run sudo...

Is there any way to get this kind of interactivity? Or am I hoping too much?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--VorpalBlade

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

to use sudo you will have to supply the admin password...throw this into AppleScripts Script editor...

Code:
do shell script "sudo /opt/vintela/vmx/bin/vmxclienttool --run-software-distribution" password "yourAdminPassword" with administrator privileges

If you change the "yourAdminPassword" to the actual password then throw that line into Script editor save it as an Application, then it will stop prying eyes 'see' the password, but it will run...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
No problem,

off to sleep any problems leave a note !

Should look like this:

MayScriptEditor001.jpg

MayScriptEditor002.jpg

MayScriptEditor003.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Another question if I may...

This command, when successful, (or not actually) writes a line or so as output... I was thinking I might capture and show that -- Does applescript support returning something to the GUI?

Reaction score
I see this will work in the Script Editor -- didn't realize that... (what comes on standart out I mean)

I'd like to have it show up in the scirpt GUI when pressing a "go" button, guess I'll have to do some research...

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to do this using a different command and I'm not sure what's the problem, but I can't get it to work. Is it because that folder name has space in it?
(OS 10.5.1)

do shell script "sudo /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh --restart" password "pass" with administrator privileges

Where pass is my admin password. Using that password I can run script in terminal.
Thanks...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

yes, you need to 'escape' the space...

Code:
do shell script "sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh --restart" password "pass" with administrator privileges

Try this...

Add a forward slash before the space.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I need to do something similar except, I need to ask the user for their password and use that on the commandline.

Baiscaly, what I want to do is the following:

I have an automator workflow to copy user selected folders to the correct folder.
After that, just to be sure I want to execute the following commands:

Code:
cd /someFolder
find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

find though seems to not like this unless run as a sudo'er.
No clue as to why because when not run though find, just manual chmod I don't get a permission denied from the terminal.

So I was wondering, how do I actually prompt the user for their password and then use that input to run the above commands, or even better, how do i recursively chmod the files and folders in such a way that find isn't necessary / prompts for a password?

Ask a Question