audio output on imac5

Reaction score
I want to connect a new 27" imac to a hifi amp but can only find a headphone output. This works when connected to the phono inputs of the amp but the sound is very quiet. The amp is fine with a cd player in the same ports. Is there a dedicated audio output on the imac or do I have to turn up the headphone output somewhere? Thanks, mannock

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The analog audio output volume on the iMac is controlled by the system volume control. You can simply turn the volume up all the way to get a comparable output level to your CD player. Also, you can use an Mini TOSLINK to TOSLINK optical audio cable to get a fixed output level if your preamp/amplifier accepts optical input, as the jack is a combo analog/optical output. The cable looks like this:

S/PDIF Digital Optical Audio Cable, Toslink to Mini Toslink, 3ft

C

Reaction score
thanks for your reply, sadly the amp is valve with phono sockets only, and with the system sound right up it is still very quiet. Is there a way of converting the optical output into phono?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

You can convert the optical signal to an analog RCA output using an external DAC (digital-to-analog converter) audio device.

-Is all audio on the quiet side - iTunes, DVD Player, etc.?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, no, all the other audio sources seem fine, perhaps not quite as powerful as other systems with integrated amps but usable. There is a very noticeable difference when using the imac source. I will look into the DAC idea, perhaps it will equalize the levels with the other sources. many thanks for your help

Ask a Question