audio output

Reaction score
hi,
help me please! I need to use my Mac to play music through an amp. I'm currently using the headphones jack to output the audio from the mac but it's not exactly successful. It works but the slightest touch and the whole thing dies. I've been looking at the audio interfaces - but they seem like overkill. Can i convert either a firewire or usb port into an audio out and go from there straight into the amp? Preferably via XLR cable. I know I can buy the cable easily enough but how do i get the mac to stream sound through the usb/firewire port?

ta
:)

Reaction score
I use a breakout box for FireWire or you can also buy USB adaptors. They just appear in your System Preferences > Sound control panel when plugged in.

Not seen XLR outs, just ins. It is easy to damage ¼" headphone jacks they just take a knock. There is a switch in them that then keeps switching off if bumped. The USB one I had still used the ¼" headphone jack, so I went to the FireWire with the Left and Right RCA, not quite as robust as the XLR but good in most situations.

I'd look at AirPlay, no cables needed at all.

Reaction score
yeah that was my thing - spent hours yesterday surfing and all the xlr's looked like they were in's. So i went out today and bought what i needed. Thanks for your help!

Amanda

Ask a Question