Apple Releases 5th Beta of OS 10.13.3 to Developers

Reaction score
Fourth and the fifth beta are very similar news, in both news's Apple included some bug fixes and the discuss about the system preferences

Reaction score
Fourth and the fifth beta are very similar news, in both news's Apple included some bug fixes and the discuss about the system preferences

The details of what this new release contain have not been revealed, but most certainly it will contain fixes for 1) the recent Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities inherent in the Intel CPU chips, and 2) the ability for anyone to unlock system preferences with any password. I am just hoping it addresses the speed issue with High Sierra.

Reaction score
I can't remember when Apple's had so many problems with a new OS release. For whatever reason, I think the new APFS or whatever it's called is at the root.

Reaction score
I can't remember when Apple's had so many problems with a new OS release. For whatever reason, I think the new APFS or whatever it's called is at the root.

For me, it's not so much as "problems", as all my software functions fine (having the latest/correct versions, of course). It's just that it is slower than Sierra. And all of my drives are SSDs: Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig inside my late 2012 Mac Mini, the "stock" 252 gig SSD inside my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air, and my two external Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs. All of them are formatted as APFS. And I make a concerted effort to keep my internal SSDs on both of my Macs "lean, mean, and clean". My external ones are used for SuperDuper! backups, and storing various "files" (the biggest piece of that is movies and TV series).

The recent Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities inherent in the Intel CPU chips is, of course, not OS dependent, and in fact, there is the possibility that given OS 10.13.2 (and the recent patch) have fixes for both of these, it is one "possible" reason why it is slower. But another individual here (the wise Cory Cooper!) previously mentioned that High Sierra uses more resources. I am just hoping further High Sierra updates will address the speed issue. From "discussions" I have had with both the folks at Micromat (they make Tech Tool Pro) and Shirt Pocket Software (they make SuperDuper!), such slow downs (even with their software) is due to High Sierra. And that is still true in an "all SSD" environment like I have!

Ask a Question