AOL Mail Not Working With Mac Mail

Reaction score
AOL email is suddenly not working on any of my devices. It keeps asking for a password, when I input the password the password box repeatably pops up on the iMac. For the iPhone it just says account error.

I have verified the password by going to AOL mail directly from my browser and can access my AOL email account and receive new email.

AOL mail not working for the following Apple devices-

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (Two different iMacs)
iPhone X 14.7.1

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I actually worked for AOL back in the late '90s/early '00s. ;)

These days, it can be a bit tricky to get it setup and keep it working, as AOL has recently been sold twice - to Verizon in 2015, then to Apollo Global Management in 2021. I haven't used my AOL accounts for years and only in Safari webmail.

Use POP or IMAP to sync AOL Mail on a third-party app or download your email
Overview of AOL Mail on mobile devices

If all of your mail is stored on the AOL servers (ie.e you can see it all when logged in via a web browser), not locally on your Mac or iOS device, it may be best to fully delete the AOL account and re-add it. Of course, it is always recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your Mac, and an iCloud or Mac backup of your iPhone.

Hope that helps a bit,

C

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for the response. I hoped it would correct itself but no such luck. AOL apparently made some changes on their end.
I now have to sign in via AOL web mail. All my mail is there. I also have Time Machine if I want to try delete the account and attempt to set it back up again. For my iPhone I had to resort to downloading the AOL app. Its not a very good email app but at least I can access my email remotely.

Ask a Question