Alias Image

Reaction score
I know how to replace the default image of a folder, but can I replace the image of an alias? If so, how?

I'm using Yosemite on a MAC Mini.

Thank you.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I run 10.7.5 & applied the method to an alias of a folder I created & had no issue changing it

Reaction score
Thanx for getting back to me...I'm not sure, tho, what to do...I'm using Yosemite, so how would I used an earlier OS? And if I have to do any uninstalling, installing, etc., it's not worth the effort.

Reaction score
I completely misunderstood...I apologize. The problem I'm having is that I can change the image on a folder (copy and paste a jpg), but the same process doesn't work for an alias.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
No need to apologise :)

Have you tried opening the image you want to put onto the folder alias, in Preview, then selecting all under Edit, then Copy, then go to the Get Info for the alias & Paste?

Will the image copy/paste onto the original folder Get Info window?

Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I tried, and it works perfectly to change the "image" of a folder, but not an alias.

I really appreciate your trying to help...

Much thanx.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What are the Permissions set to in the Alias' Get Info window, it's right down the bottom

Reaction score
The permissions are set to "Read and Write"...I can't think of anything else to adjust.

Thank you very much for trying to help --- this is a great forum, and people like you make it so.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I think the alias has had it's icon changed successfully, it just isn't been shown by Finder yet.

Okay, go through with the method you know, create a new folder alias then change it's icon.

Copy the alias with it's altered icon, onto the Desktop, hopefully this should be enough to force Finder to show the new icon (If successful, jump up in the air & scream Hip Hip Hoorah, then just delete the other alias).

If it doesn't, restart Finder by going to the  in the upper left menubar & choose "Force Quit".

You'll be warned about saving changes etc so make sure you cover those bases.

When Finder restarts, hopefully the folder alias' new icon should be showing.

Reaction score
I can change the icon on my partner's MAC (where the file resides), but when I open Finder to access the alias with the new icon, on my MAC it shows the default image. I quit...

You've been very patient...thanx for all your help.

Reaction score
Yes...but I think this is really hopeless. Yesterday I got the icon changed (I changed it on the host MAC, and then created an alias and then moved the alias to my MAC. However, about three hours later (and my not having done anything), the alias icon changed back to the default.

I know when it's time to admit that the MAC has defeated me...

I really do appreciate your trying to help...but I think I've imposed on you enough.

Ask a Question