Files dissapeared under Alias - Help.

Reaction score
Hi there.

My first post so thankyou for anyone who takes the time to read my problem :)

I have recently moved my Itunes Music library to an external WD harddrive using Itunes. Up until a few days ago there was no issue. However today the Library has appeared to have completely disappeared, with the music folder replaced by an Alias file that points no-where.

It appears that the music files are still on the external HD, but at this point the only way to rescue them is via recovering the files which does not seem to recognize them in their original structure (SPMacDataRecovery that I have used has just bundled them into an awful lot of nearly useless folders).

Does anybody know how I can get my Mac to undo whatever it did and to recover the music files. Or is there a way of forcing my Mac to 'see' the files?

Many thanks in anticipation!
Screen shot 2014-10-07 at 15.22.07.jpg

Reaction score
First of all, what type of Mac do you have? Secondly, what OS are you using?

Next, what do you mean by "SPMacDataRecovery"? I did a google search of that term, and noting at all came up.

Do you have a backup of your primary HD, prior to moving the iTunes Music Library to the external WD drive? (I assume WD means "Western Digital". Please confirm that).

Now, can iTunes still play any songs from that folder? That was not clear from your post.

Finally, here are the results of a google search of "iTunes Music Library no longer recognized on an external Hard Drive":

https://www.google.com/search?q=iTu...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Reaction score
WD harddrive
are not good on the Mac, we always reformat them a couple of times before use.

To me it looks like your Music is still on your Main Drive???

I'd delete that Alias
Copy the iTunes folder from the Users Music Folder Across to the External Drive
Then change the iTunes Advance Preference to point the the external drive iTunes Music Folder.

Ask a Question