Airport Extreme

Reaction score
I've just ordered a new Intel Mac and will be getting a 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme Card built into it.

I just wondered - does that mean that I will automatically get wireless connection to my broadband? So in effect wireless broadband? So no need to pay for a wireless modem?

Do I just need to configure the settings on Airport or will it automatically detect the broadband settings when I install it?

Reaction score
Girl:

Yes, if your unit has a built in wireless card (which pretty much all laptops, iMacs, and I believe mini-macs have), it will detect a wireless signal where ever one exists, and will ask if you want to hook up to it. Automatically!

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that :) Sorry for silly question but I'm new to wireless :)

Ric

Reaction score
iGirl said:
...I just wondered - does that mean that I will automatically get wireless connection to my broadband? So in effect wireless broadband? So no need to pay for a wireless modem?...

Don't worry it's not a daft question...

...and unless I'm read this question wrong...I think CAS possibly has ?

No you won't Automatically get Wireless connection to your Broadband...it depends whether you have a "Wireless" Base station/modem....

What modem have you got at the minute that connects you to the Internet ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Well I'm on a pc at the moment using AOL broadband. But that doesn't work with Macs so I am swapping to BT. I've read that I get Airport Extreme inbuilt into my new computer but, as I haven't got it yet, I wondered if that would enable me to get wireless broadband on a normal BT modem as apposed to using a wireless modem from BT :)

Reaction score
As Ric stated, and I alluded to, you must be within range of a wireless signal from some kind of wireless base station for the installed Airport card to function. Here where I live, I use the signal sent out from my Mother-in-law's home across the street, or the signal at the public library. In both cases, there is a base station connected to the internet via broadband modem, and it is the base station that is transmitting the signal recognized by the Airport card. As long as your machine is in the vicinity of a base station, and it is not encrypted (or you have the correct password(s)), your machine can connect to the internet.

Ask a Question