Airport connection turns on and off randomly

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Firstly, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

I have been having problems lately with my Airport. I have wireless internet via a router in my home. But lately the connection has been turning on and off. For example, when I open up my internet options, the status will be "Connecting to ..." and then two seconds later, "Disconnected/No wireless network." And then it switches back and forth, back and forth. Eventually the only thing that seems to work is to shut off Airport entirely, wait a few minutes, and then turn it back on. THis usually seems to do the trick. But it keeps happening, and is rather annoying, when you're on MSN or Safari or downloading something.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Bflywings

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Not quite sure it's fixed but better. go to your network settings and change the order of the connections. Move your wireless to the top.

Chris

Reaction score
Are you near the end of your range of the wireless router? Is it going through a wall that could contain a metal air duct? If reception is excellent when it works, you might have a faulty router. If no other computer has that problem and your computer has the problem on other networks, there might be something wrong with your airport card. If simply turning off your airport card works, then its probably a problem with your airport card. Check to make sure its plugged in properly and the antenna is plugged into it properly.

Reaction score
Where is my airport card located? It does still do this while I'm in the second level of my home (the router is on the first) but also when I'm very close to the router (no walls in the way, since the first floor is fairly open).

Reaction score
How many wavy symbols do you have? Look on you upper bar, just to the left of your sign in name. I have 4 (counting the dot).

What is your setup? ee mine? Is it similar?

Reaction score
How many wavy symbols do you have? Look on you upper bar, just to the left of your sign in name. I have 4 (counting the dot).

What is your setup? ee mine? Is it similar?

I have four wavy symbols including the dot (connection is full)

What method of security have you chosen (WPA, WEP etc...)?

I believe it to be WEP, but as it logs on automatically I can't really remember the settings, so I'm not positive but do think it is WEP.

Reaction score
Delete the connection and build a new one. Do it close to the router. Then move the MAC to the location where you need it.

Reaction score
where your airport card is (if u know u need to get to it) depends of your computer. On the ibooks, it's under the keyboard. On the 12" powerbook you get to it by removing the battery. Some have a special door just for the airport card.

Reaction score
Try WPA - as this seems to solve the intermittent connection problems for some people. Have you run software update lately to see if there is an update to Airport?

I would reset your router - or at least restart your router (make sure the mac is shut down). Then I would delete the connection you have and make a new one choosing WPA. Then repair permissions.

Ask a Question