SOLVED After updating to OS sonoma

Reaction score
Since updating to macOS14 on my imac (24 inch M1, 2021) , some programs have been behaving irregularly.
In chrome (v117.0.5938.132) now whenever I open the app or a new tab, I get taken to the homeweeklies.com page. I cannot not find anywhere to turn this off. Before the upgrade, a new tab opened with a blank page.
My password manager (RoboForm) used to got to a site's login page and login automatically. After the upgrade, for about half the sites stored in RoboForm, when I try to login, I get taken to the login page and then have to enter the username and password manually. I have chrome set as my default browser but the same thing happens when I change my default browser to Safari.

Also, the icons on my desktop, do not stay in the positions I had them before I shut down. Now some of them are in different positions when I start up again.
Is anyone else having these problems? Can I go back to my earlier macOS?

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

It sounds like you got a Browser Hijacker Malware on your Mac.

Here is a guide to help you remove it. https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-homesweeklies-com

I would recommend that you also change any password that you needed to manually enter that RoboForm wouldn't autofill. This was most likely cause by the loaded website was being loaded in a frame sending all of your data to 3rd party site.

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

It sounds like you got a Browser Hijacker Malware on your Mac.

Here is a guide to help you remove it. https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-homesweeklies-com

I would recommend that you also change any password that you needed to manually enter that RoboForm wouldn't autofill. This was most likely cause by the loaded website was being loaded in a frame sending all of your data to 3rd party site.
Thanks Macsbug for your help. Further research since my post has shown that the upgrade process apparently turned off the password extension in chrome. when I turned the extension back on, the password extension returned to correct behaviour. This solved the problem for chrome but interestingly also apparently solved the problem for safari.

I still have the homeweeklies.com problem in chrome so will check out the guide you sent me. It seems a coincidence that the hijacking to the homeweeklies site occurred immediately after doing the upgrade.

Ask a Question