Adguard Installation Problem

Reaction score
My version of Adguard was acting strange yesterday, so I was told to delete it and get the latest version (which I couldn't do through the program itself.)
Now when I go to install it, it asks for the administrator pw, which I enter, but the program refuses to install.
It keeps throwing up an alert to try again, but it's a loop, and I can get nowhere.

Anyone know what could be the problem?

(I'm running 10.12.6, so I wondering if that's an issue.)

Reaction score
My version of Adguard was acting strange yesterday, so I was told to delete it and get the latest version (which I couldn't do through the program itself.)
Now when I go to install it, it asks for the administrator pw, which I enter, but the program refuses to install.
It keeps throwing up an alert to try again, but it's a loop, and I can get nowhere.

Anyone know what could be the problem?

(I'm running 10.12.6, so I wondering if that's an issue.)
Some elements of the original installation were left over (plists, extensions, etc.). Just trashing the app alone will not remove those. You need an app cleaner program. I use AppCleaner

to accomplish the task. If you have already trashed Adguard and emptied the trash, try searching for “adguard” until a file comes up that looks like part of the Adguard installation. Then drag it over the AppCleaner icon to see what happens.

Reaction score
I suggest before using an app try again to uninstall the latest version with the Finder app in Mac.

Reaction score
Doesn't work with this OS.
Try this one instead:

This had been my go-to cleaner for years but I had to switch to appcleaner since the former would not work with the newer versions of macOS. appdelete supports OS X as old as Lion and is not compatible with silicon Macs. CleanMyMac X supposedly has a similar tool although I never cared for that app myself.

Either way, you have to have one of these utilities in order to avoid accumulating orphaned detritus in your system, which can be disastrous when they get old enough that newer system installers are unable to detect them and they become impossible to remove cleanly. I know. I happened to me before. Recently, I got the alert persistently after updating macOS Ventura:

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 06.19.14.png

I ended up having to wipe my startup drive completely because that file was impossible to remove, and resulted in reinstalling macOS and migrating all data from backup. It was one of the most difficult fix I had to do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Forget it.
Due to bad advice from a 'tech' at their office, my Firefox browser was erased with all my bookmarks.
Everything gone.
Speaking of which, I had the foresight to use Time Machine yesterday, fearing something like this would happen, but why doesn't it back-up the bookmarks file?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is what I followed - what would cause this to remove th entire FF browser?
  • After that, delete following AdGuard files:
    • /Library/Application Support/AdGuard Software/com.adguard.mac.adguard (folder)
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.adguard.mac.adguard.plist (file)
    • ~/Library/Group\ Containers/TC3Q7MAJXF.com.adguard.mac (folder)
    • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-pac.daemon.plist (file)
    • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-tun-helper.daemon.plist (file)
    • /Library/Logs/com.adguard.mac.adguard/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-pac.daemon.log (file)
    • /Library/Logs/com.adguard.mac.adguard/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-tun-helper.daemon.log (file)
To do so, open the Terminal app, then enter and execute the following commands:

sudo rm -R "/Library/Application Support/AdGuard Software/com.adguard.mac.adguard" rm -R "$HOME/Library/Application Support/com.adguard.mac.adguard" rm $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.adguard.mac.adguard.plist rm -R "$HOME/Library/Group Containers/TC3Q7MAJXF.com.adguard.mac" find "$HOME/Library/Application Support" -name "com.adguard.browser_extension_host.nm.json" -delete sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-pac.daemon.plist sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-tun-helper.daemon.plist sudo rm /Library/Logs/com.adguard.mac.adguard/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-pac.daemon.log sudo rm /Library/Logs/com.adguard.mac.adguard/com.adguard.mac.adguard.adguard-tun-helper.daemon.log

• Run ’Activity Monitor’ app.
  • Using search tool, find the process cfprefsd.
Run Activity Monitor

• Stop the process which is being run under the user (not the one run under root). To do so, click the process and then click X on the upper left. Confirm it in the dialogue window.
Confirm

AdGuard is removed from your computer now.

Reaction score
I have Firefox installed as a third or lower alternate browser if the other browsers are not working for me. That means I’m not really familiar with Firefox and never had to deal with this much involvement. Even so, I don’t see any of the commands you listed having anything to do with Firefox. I doubt it was the cause. Hopefully somebody in the forum knows enough about Firefox to be of help. Good luck. In your place, as a last resort, I would try to shut down (not just restart), wait for a couple of minutes, and start up again. See if Firefox will reappear. I’m hoping that doing the process quit in Activity Monitor might have affected active memory, and that it will come back up.

Reaction score
I was able to access an older bookmarks file and restore it, though I had to go back a few weeks, not days.
(Thank heaven for Time Machine.)
At least that's solved; now I have to figure out how to stop all these ads.

Ask a Question