20 second delay every time I open my MacBook Air

Reaction score
I've got an almost brand new MacBook Air. Before, when I open it I can use it immediately, within 1 or 2 second. But starting a few days ago, whenever I open it there is a length delay, about 20 seconds, before I can use it. During this delay the screen is simply frozen and there is no response to the keyboard or trackpad. What's going on? Why would this suddenly happen, and how do I fix it?

PS just to be clear, I'm not talking about starting up the computer from off. I'm talking about opening the lid when it's already turned on.

Reaction score
Hi,

Does this happen when on battery power only?

I ask because from what I understand the MBA goes one step further than sleep into what Apple calls Standby mode, this is a much deeper form of sleep that uses a great deal less power but takes a bit longer to start up again.

Having said that, the MBA should not enter this deep standby mode if you are connected to AC power, have a USB device or SD card attached, have any Bluetooth devices paired, or have an external display attached.

Reaction score
It might not have the disk space to write out its Cache. How full is your drive?

Reaction score
@oldscribe
No, it's not just when on battery mode. It also does it when connected to AC power.

Reaction score
@Kaveman
120 G harddrive has 10 G free space.
In the past, it's had less free space and not had this problem when opening.

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I solved the problem. I called Apple care and they suggested resetting both the SMC and the PRAM. I did this and it solved the problem.

Ask a Question