10.4.9 Update - AFP Problems!!!

Reaction score
Has anybody else upgraded to 10.4.9 and found that they can no longer copy to their server from an OS 9 client?

Everything was fine yesterday but now, since update, when i try to copy from any OS 9 mac the copy process starts then an error window appears with:
"macname (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) via TCP"
The file server's connection has unexpectedly closed down [time on date]

under that is another error:
The selected files could not be copied because the server is no longer connected.

OSX clients are fine but we have to use OS 9 on several machines for software reasons so I am stumped!!!

Any help, comments greatly appreciated!

John

Reaction score
I also read somewhere about using pacifist to roll back an installation or part of it, to a previous version would this work or am i going to make things worse?

Reaction score
Yes my company is experiencing the same issue. Apple OS X Server 10.4.9 causes all OS 9 users who are connected via AFP to be disconnected when uploading files to a server-shared drive. The previous update had introduced sluggishness in data transport and now this.

Our current workaround is to copy files first to a non-OS 9 drive mounted on the desktop of the OS 9 client, then copying from the non-OS 9 drive to the AFP drive (after which deleting the file from the middleman).

We are a video editing facility and have a large investment in OS 9 - driven Avids which now are hobbled by what must be an oversight on Apple's part. Any help would be appreciated from Apple or anyone with a clue.

-- runamac

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you, Johnny.Deee. I had not found the co-plaintives on the Apple
Discussion site; I did find the MacFixIt page, and for others' reference,
here is a more succinct page:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070318234146965

I'm not sure that I want to mix & match portions of versions, though,
so I may bide my time and see how Apple responds. Good luck to you!

-- runamac

Reaction score
Hi runamac,

So long as you keep a backup of the newer AppleFileServer (3.1.5) so that when Apple eventually sorts out this mess you can re-revert/update it so that it can be fixed properly, I can't see any problems with mixing OS's.

While your temporary solution works for you it hardly seems ideal and must at least double the time it takes you to transfer files, whereas using the older AppleFileServer version is fairly painless (took me about 30mins for the download and 5 to do the switch) and fixes the problem as if you had never ran the bl@@%y 10.4.9 update to cause the problem in the first place!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Johnny Deeeee

PS. I have always trusted Apple's updates before but I will never run an update as soon as it comes out and I will always clone my HD before running any future updates - Horse... Stable Door... etc....

Ask a Question