PROBLEM CONNECTING iMAC TO NETWORK

Reaction score
Good day,
I have a problem connecting an iMac to the network.
My ADSL line is connected to a Netgear DGN220M router. An Airport Extreme, Mac mini (late 2012) as well as an iMac (mid 2011) is connected to the network. (A number of iPad and iPhones are also connected.)

When waking the iMac (or sometimes Mac mini), Safari seems not to be connected to the internet. I would then use network - assist me - diagnostics - etc to fix the problem. (I then usually use my iPad to acces the internet, while the “fixing” is in process. So there in internet ) It normally takes 3 to 5 minutes for the iMac connection problem to be solved.

A related problem. I access my email through Gmail and Safari. In some cases Gmail wil not connect to the internet. I would however be able to get access to the internet through other tabs. I then have to follow the same diagnostics proces to reset the iMac internet connection in order to get Gmail connected.

Notes:
  1. This does not happen on every wake event. It is random for both problems.
  2. Generally my adsl connection is extremely slow. (This is a service provider problem)
  3. I am using Network Speed Viewer.
  4. The problem is most prominent on the iMac.
  5. The problem is more frequent after installing Yosemite.
Many thanks in advance.
Pieter

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Have you installed the latest Yosemite 10.10.4 update? It addresses network issues.

You could try the following to put Wi-Fi at the top pf the list:
OS X Yosemite: Change the priority of your network connections

You could also delete any unused W-Fi networks in the Network > W-Fi > Advanced > Preferred Networks: section and drag your current network to the top of the list.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory,

Yes I have the latest Yosemite update. I have changed the preferred network order and also removed some older options.

Will have to test it over time to see if the problem is resolved. Thank you for your prompt response!

Regards,
Pieter

Ask a Question