Problems connecting to multiple workstation at the office from home

Reaction score
Hi All, hopefully here somebody can help me!

i have 5 workstations all iMacs and the router is Dlink DIR-632 model. I have one workstation where i have installed Apple Remote Desktop and Port forwarded to that workstation.

The problem is, if i want to just connect to a specific workstation it seems that no matter what i do, i have to go through that one and from there connect to others... but it becomes extremely slow! Dont know what to do anymore!

Dont know if this is relevant but my working server is a DELL with Windows Server 2012 on it...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

William!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You shouldn't need to port forward anything to get this to work on a local network. Port forwarding for ASD on your router will only affect incoming connections from the Internet. As long as the iMacs are all connected to the same Wi-Fi or Ethernet network, and are in the same IP range, ARD should be able to see and control them.

-Which version of OS X on the iMacs?
-Which Mac are you trying to control the others from?
-Is either Screen Sharing or Remote Management enabled in System Preferences... > Sharing, and configured properly?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You shouldn't need to port forward anything to get this to work on a local network. Port forwarding for ASD on your router will only affect incoming connections from the Internet. As long as the iMacs are all connected to the same Wi-Fi or Ethernet network, and are in the same IP range, ARD should be able to see and control them.

-Which version of OS X on the iMacs?
-Which Mac are you trying to control the others from?
-Is either Screen Sharing or Remote Management enabled in System Preferences... > Sharing, and configured properly?

C

Yeah but i want to connect from HOME to WORK... not on the same WIFI!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...that takes quite a bit more setup/configuration.

You can setup port forwarding to each machine, along with some other settings changes. This article explains them:
Port Forwarding to 2 computers using Apple Remote Desktop ? - drtidmore's response

You could also setup a VPN, but some IT department's view that as a security risk or not worth the setup for most accesses.

Also, if you had a Mac running OS X Server at the office, you could install ARD on it, remote into it, then run ARD locally there and see the iMacs.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question