Need to get more breathing space in my old Mac G4

Reaction score
Hello,

I have two issues really. One, I need to have more room on my old G4 because my original 25.53 GB QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM27.3 HD is out of space. I bought an external 300 GB HD and moved almost everything over to it, but my storage quickly fills up these days and I am right back to having no operating room on my internal disk.

So, question(s):
- is it safe to move my OS to the external drive, and if not
- should I install an additional internal. If that is the answer,
- how do I put my OS on the new, ( hopefully larger internal
HD and make it my pimary drive?

Any recommended brands and sizes?

Hold on! One more related question. How far can I upgrade my OS once the new HD is up and running? Right now I have the Old Tiger, OS 10.4.11. IS there a limitation on G4? I have 1.750 GB in memory.

Any and all advice- guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Grimly

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Sorry we didn't respond sooner.

-Yes, you can boot the G4 from any FireWire HD with a compatible OS version installed
-You can install a second internal HD
-You could either clone your existing drive to the new one, or do a fresh install of the OS on the new HD, then migrate your data from the original.

Depending on the system specs, the Power Mac G4 series can go up to a maximum of Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. Due to the HD you mentioned, it seems you have a PM G4 (AGP Graphics) machine (PowerMac 3,1) - with 350/400/450/500 MHz G4 processor. If that is the correct model, then Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger is the latest version you can run.

C

Ask a Question