Macbook won't start up!!

Reaction score
Ok so I'm having big problems
My macbookwasreally, incredibly slow in imovie last night, so I turned it off and tried to restart, except it stuck on the evil grey screen with the apple and the spinning loading icon.
I left it to see if it would start up, but it hadn't worked so now I'm panicking and hoping you guys could help me

I searched this forum for an answer and tried the FSCK archive thing, but it came up with 'Singleuser boot -- fsck not done' and then further down

'If you want to make modifications to the files;
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw/

If you wish to book the system;
exit'

But I'm not exactly a technical person and I'll likely break it more if I fiddle!! please help!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
See if this helps you out:

Reboot/Startup holding your Command-S key down.

At the command line type the following (pay attention to spaces in the code) and hit 'Return.'

Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy

If it finds a problem and repairs it, immediately run fsck again until the drive checks OK.

After it has check/repaired your disk, type 'reboot' and hit 'Return' again.

Post back how it goes :)

Reaction score
See if this helps you out:

Reboot/Startup holding your Command-S key down.

At the command line type the following (pay attention to spaces in the code) and hit 'Return.'

Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy

If it finds a problem and repairs it, immediately run fsck again until the drive checks OK.

After it has check/repaired your disk, type 'reboot' and hit 'Return' again.

Post back how it goes :)

Hey there, thank you for you're help,
I typed it in exactly how you've said, but it seems to not have done anything to it. Should I be seeing an obvious change? Or is there a way of doing it that I've got wrong? :confused:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Umm, are you saying that you ran fsck as per my post, fsck reported nothing wrong but then after you typed reboot you ended up at the evil grey screen again?

Reaction score
no sorry, I typed in the fsck code and pressed 'return' but nothing happened at all, as if it thought I hadn't finished

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
no sorry, I typed in the fsck code and pressed 'return' but nothing happened at all, as if it thought I hadn't finished

Code:
[I]/sbin/fsck -fy[/I]

Did you type using lower-case and leave a space between the fsck and the -fy?

See if this helps.

Or this.

Reaction score
You could also try repairing permissions and your disk, booted up from the installation disk, if you have it. :)

Ask a Question