MacBook Pro won't start up

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm new here and I hope you guys can help me with my problem.
My laptop is MacBook Pro Model No: A1278. It was working great till I restarted it then it won't start up. I did the COMMAND + R and repaired the disk and it says everything is OK, but it still won't start up. Here's a video of what's happening.
I have a lot of important data that I don't want 'em to be deleted. I don't have a back up too :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
You need some way to get to Disk Utility, so that you can try and perform repairs on your disk. One way to do that is to boot your Mac up by holding the Command and R keys at the same time. Here is a link that explains all this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

You did not say what OS you are using, but as long as it is Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks, you can follow that procedure to get to Disk Utility. From there, you can Verify and Repair Permissions, and Verify and Repair your disk.

Now, no matter how you get to Disk Utility, if those processes do not help you, then you will need a more robust Disk Repair program like Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro. Since you have a Firewire 800 port on your machine, if you have access to another Mac with a Firewire 800 port, you can connect the 2 machines via a Firewire 800 cable, then first boot up the "good" machine. Next, boot your machine into Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key until the Firewire icon appears. The hard disk inside your machine will show up as a hard disk on the "good", running machine's desktop. If that machine has either Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro on it, then you can launch whichever one is there and use it to repair your disk. Each of those programs can do more significant repairs to your drive than Disk Utility can.

When you get your machine up and running again, it is absolutely critical that you develop and follow a backup strategy, and follow it. This latest problem you are having is a perfect example why backing up is a necessity!

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this, disconnect all peripherals & try booting holding the Option key then select your internal drive as Startup Disc & press Return

Reaction score
Hi,

My first thought is as SD said re peripherals, secondly try a safe boot, if it boots repiar both SMC and PRAM

Warning: Resetting the PRAM and the SMC will return your Mac's hardware to its default settings. For instance, sound levels will be set to the default; the Mac's internal speakers will be set as the source of audio output; the date and time may be reset; and the display options and brightness will also be reset.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I clicked on the shift when terning on and it worked good. I'm gonna back it up now

Ask a Question