Cannot find 'remove messages from server' button

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded to a brand new MacBook Air and am using Yosemite / Mac Mail 8.1.

I use various email providers for freelance work and one of them is currently bouncing back emails as the server inbox is full. I can delete these manually, but surely there is a setting in Mac Mail to delete from the server? I believe this should be under Preferences>Accounts>Advanced, but it is not listed there.

Any help much appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Is the email account setup as POP or IMAP in Apple Mail?
-Do you have webmail access to the account?

C

Reaction score
It's an IMAP account, and I have access to webmail, which yesterday was showing a lot of mail that had been removed from the inbox in Apple Mail. Today the problem seems to have righted itself, and the inbox is no longer full. I'd still like to know where the setting is in Apple Mail so I can ensure I've selected the right option!

Thanks

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
AFAIK, the setting you are seeking is only available for POP accounts in Apple's Mail.app. I have 2 IMAP & 2 POP accounts & this is what my findings are.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct...POP accounts allow you to Remove now in the preferences.

To check the available settings for IMAP and POP accounts:

Mail > Preferences > Accounts > click on account in list to highlight it > Mailbox Behaviors and Advanced

C

Ask a Question