Finder and Disc Utility cannot see CDs, but Toast can

Reaction score
I have an imac G5, running Mac OS X 10.4.11. For some reason, when I put in a CD or DVD - blank or otherwise - it can often not be seen by Finder or Disc Utility. This does not happen every time, but it happening more often lately. Strangely, Toast 8 will see the disc and, if it is blank, allow me to burn to it. (I also have a portable burner connected to an XP notebook which has not trouble seeing these discs.) As I often use CD-RW's, it's a problem than I cannot use Disc Utility to burn them, or Finder to make the occasional hard copy backup of certain data. (I just popped in a commercial CD, and Finder sees this.)
I should add that these are blanks of a brand that Finder has seen before, and the last CD-RW I tried to erase with Disc Utility was burned on this computer (but with Toast, not I-tunes.) And I should further add that Finder has seen discs burned with Toast on other occassions.
So, do I need a new drive or is there a software fix?

George

Ask a Question