Cannot open pdfs in iCloud mail

Reaction score
Hello
First post here. The past couple of months I find iCloud mail cannot open pdfs sent to me. I can open pdfs sent through yahoo mail or sbcglobal.net. I hesitate to remove my apple-id mail account and reinstall but is that the first step? Thanks.
Mojave 10.14

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for delay in replying.

-Are you using the Apple Mail app?
-Have you tried logging into icloud.com and checking mail there?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory
Thanks for the reply.
I find nothing in the inbox on iCloud. I just forwarded myself an email earlier written as a test from my sbcglobal email to my me.com (icloud) email with a picture attached. The attachment could not be opened. When I look at my mail account on iCloud, the inbox is empty but when I look at the "sent" section, this forwarded email DOES show up and still cannot open the attachment.
When I had my wife send a picture of various sizes from her sbcglobal email to my me.com email, the small and medium sized versions of the attachment picture could be opened while the larger sized attachment would not open. In this case I think the apple mail should put the larger attachment in Dropbox but nothing there either.
Thanks
Richard

Reaction score
When I hit the attachment in iCloud mail it gives me this message:

The file “IMG_4470 2-2.JPG” could not be opened because it is empty.

No idea what this means.

If a file which is too large is sent to iCloud email does it kill the attachment in this way.?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You may be on to something. Maybe the attachments are too large for the SBCglobal email server to accept and send. That may be why the smaller size photos successfully open when received, and the larger one doesn't. I would think it is an SBCglobal file size limit for sending, more than an iCloud limit for receiving.

Mailbox size and message sending limits in iCloud

Email attachment file size limits vary from 2 MB to over 25 MB, depending on the ISP/email provider.

C

Reaction score
Hello again
1. Turns out sbcglobal.net will transmit large files to sbcglobal.net accounts(up to 3.1 MB at least)
2. My me.com account :
Rejects 3.1MB, 2.5MB, 819KB from sccglobal.net
Rejects 2.4MB from Yahoo.com
Accepts 59KB, 160KB, 382KB from sbcglobal.net
3. Yahoo.com seems to have size limitations similar to iCloud/me.com

sbcglobal is the universal receiver for me I guess.
No idea what happens if I try to send raw 8MB files through sbcglobal but iCloud would
certainly balk.

Thanks again for your interest. I will just use the sbcglobal account for large attachments.
Richard

Ask a Question