Cannot access localhost

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Am trying to setup Postfix on a PowerBook G4 using 10.4.8 by using RapidoSmtp.

I believe that Postfix is being enabled, however when I try to check the connection in the Terminal (by entering: telnet localhost 25) I get the following error message:

Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

I have tried repairing permissions, turning on/off firewall, enabling/disabling Postfix, restarting, etc.. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Steve and welcome,

sounds like postfix isn't running !

Try:

sudo postfix start

in terminal first followed by your password then do the telnet localhost 25

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe your are right. This is the error message I get when I do as you suggested:

postfix: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter mail_owner: unknown user name value: postfix

Thanks,

Steve

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

sorry for the delay...

Have you managed to get any further ?

If not I'll try and add a "How to get Postfix running in OS X tutorial" post over the weekend...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

Thanks for the follow up.

No, I have not gotten it running. I still get the error messages whenever I try to start it up. The closest explanation I've found is that when I installed Tiger (I did a Panther upgrade) it did not run the CreateUser cmd in the Essentials.pkg. I'm told the only way to fix this is to do a clean install of Tiger.

I haven't had time to do that yet to see if that's the problem, however, I am having other problems with the machine and will probably do a clean install this weekend.

If you don't mind, I'd still like to read your tutorial as I am curious about PostFix.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

If I get chance I'll do it this weekend, (famous last words!).

It'll be interesting if you do a fresh Install of Tiger and the that Postfix enabler software works...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question